Tuesday, June 19, 2007

What a day!!

Monday was one of those days. Everything went wrong, I was scheduled for an interview at the US Embassy. I made all the necessary arrangements. I verified my transportation several times. Spoke to the cab driver I usually use on Friday, then sent him an sms on Sunday. early on Monday morning I called him again just to be sure. And still..... I very clearly told him to pick me up at eight am sharp, and usually he's very reliable. But that morning he got stuck in traffic, did not think to call me and arrived at twenty minutes past eight!! My interview was scheduled for eight thirty. I was livid. Consequently, when I arrived at the US Embassy, I was irritable, flustered and generally undone. I had to fill out a form, and I just wasn't in the mood. In the end, it all went well and my visa was approved.

7 comments:

Thomas Michael Blaser said...

I feel you. I nearly missed a flight to Switzerland because the cab did not turn up. Never rely on Jozi cab drivers. Rather ask a friend to take you there. We all know about this and people are usually good to help out. Or if you go to the airport, use a shuttle service. But cabs or taxis, no way!

Susan Arthur said...

So it was a blue Monday! I'm glad it turned out well in the end and that the US embassy didn't have any reason to think you were a terrorist!!

The cab driver should have communicated with you... illustrating my point on my blog: when you are in the workplace, COMMUNICATE and ASK QUESTIONS when necessary!

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

I thought I was going to lynch him!! Yes Suse,I would have thought communicating with me would have been an obvious solution. Communication is the key to so many things both on a work and personal level. How do you know what the other person thinks, or does or says without it? But..life happens, things go wrong. This was a lesson in stress management and contingency planning.

Adam N. Mukendi said...

Hi Ije,
I did not know that it was so stressful as I met you and realised that you were no more Afro but african-mama. That was so beautyful. Happy for you that things are going so well. May the God of grace gives you sucess in all your way.
AD

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

Thanks for the compliments. Luckily, I was able to manage my stress. It's been a very stressful time for me though.

Valentin said...

That is why, Ijeoma, it is the best sometimes just to rely on yourself.
Nobody could do it better than yourself-this is what I've realised lately.
Unfortunately, when you are dependent on other people, you have to adjust to their rules (or their "weaknesses" rather).
Nowadays, I prefer not to rely on anybody, it is just more stress and trouble.
Or if I have to rely on somebody, I have to be sure that this person is reliable, responsible and loyal!

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

Valentin,
I'm not so sure being totally independent is the best solution, after all no one is an island. I suppose the most effective way would be to make plan A, B and possibly C.You can't always depend on yourself alone, particularly where other people are involved (like in a team). One has to do the best with what is available.