Sunday, July 8, 2007

Taking a Stand for the Environment at the Live Earth Concert

After a 'gruelling' week, I thought I'd take some time out to relax. What better way to do that than to throw my support behind a worthy cause. Getting a complimemtary ticket from my good friend Patricia through her fiancè didn't hurt at all. Venue, where else? Coca Cola Dome of course!!
It was great for me because Baaba Maal and Angèlique Kidjo, from Senegal and Benin Republic gave electrifying performances. Viva West Africa!! I am very partial to Miss Kidjo, she has one of the most powerful voices I have ever heard. I danced like I have not done in a long while.
Joss Stone (either British or Australian), a relatively bright new star on the scene, was no slouch either, belting out soulful tunes in a surprisingly Aretha franklin and Gloria Gaynor sounding voice.
Last but certainly not the least, the highlight of the evening was a brilliant performance by UB40. Wow!! There were other cool groups and individuals that performed (Zola 7!!), but these ones did it for me.
We made a 'mad dash' to the car park with the rythms of 'red red wine' echoing in the background. We didn't want to get stuck in a massive traffic jam.
Susan Arthur was there as well.............
I forgot to mention that I attended a wonderful comtemporary (ballet) dance performance with Valentin and Susan A. at the University of Johannesburg theater on Friday. It was truly inspiring. The dancers came from around Europe and North America.

8 comments:

Thomas Michael Blaser said...

While I understand you had a good jol, I cant really see how such a concert benefits awareness about the climate. I tend to agree with critiques who say that the awareness is there, its more about getting politics into action. But I am glad you had a good time. Viva, Viva!

Susan Arthur said...

What a great weekend! I must say I had fun at the concert. I really enjoyed being introduced to the West African rhythms, they were excellent.

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

Thomas, try not to be so sceptical and pessimistic. I'll have to agree with you on that point though. It seems to me the US makes so much noise about not polluting the environment then turns around and emits the most green house gases. Who suffers, Africa of course! Interesting....

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

Suse, you need to visit one of those African night clubs. Sankayi in the Rivonia area would be a good start.

Susan Arthur said...

Sounds fun... maybe I can get a fellow WOWer to go with me (seeing you are off so soon)
Also, there was a bit of scepticism about live earth in the press (maybe Thomas would make a good journalist :) ) - was a concert the best way to deal with climate change, as it would have contributed to global warming etc.

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

Adam perhaps, he may know Sankayi or Temi. If not we'll go when I get back. Is it a date then?? I do agree with Thomas that these worldwide 'green' concerts are not really achieving anything. I think people are aware to a certain extent, I suppose the issue is mobilising the masses into preventive action.

Susan Mwangi said...

… and what an evening that!
Did you say Angèlique Kidjo and UB 40? What a treat!

Just reading your blog, I am doing my share of keeping the planet green… I am green with envy!

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

Susan M, it was really great listening to Baaba Maal and Kidjo. Truly inspiring... UB40 too.