Monday, December 1, 2008

Has the World Gone Mad???

Last week and this week have been very eventful with all the horrifying news on the local and international media. Bombing and shootings in Mumbai, life-threatening cholera epidemic in Zimbabwe, religious violence and the Niger Delta problem in Nigeria, the domino effects of the financial crisis, airport under seige in Thailand, piracy in Somalian territorial waters, more upheaval in Democratic Republic of Congo (interesting that the word democracy features in the country name) and more turmoil in Iraq and other parts of the Middle East. When will it all end??

In the midst of all this world crises I have started my internship at GCAP and I am happy to finally be in an organisation where my various skills and streams of knowledge are an asset not a liability. During the World of Work Programme (2007) there was a lot of talk about how organisations are looking for individuals that are versatile and flexible but in a 'real world' scenario, it is a lot more complex. I know because while I was in Newyork I searched for those kind of organisations. There are a few but the competition is high and the opportunities to be employed few.

I will discuss the objectives of GCAP in my next blog post and as the internship process unfold, the value my qualifications and skills add to the organisation will emerge. Also the wealth of knowledge that I stand to gain in the course of carrying out my duties here.


3 comments:

Susan Arthur said...

Yes, I think the world has gone mad!
for a different perspective see the post I wrote today.

glad to see you are keeping the blogging flame alive!

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

Sorry Suse!!
I haven't blogged since the 1st of December. Pathethic!!

Susan Arthur said...

But better than the rest of us!