Saturday, September 22, 2007

It's been quite awhile....

Thank you so much Susan A., Thomas, Adam and Themba for all your comments on my few posts. I have not had a moment to sit down and post comments throughout the past week. Something I do want to share with you all is my visit last Saturday to Professor Chinua Achebe. The 2007 winner of the Booker (the man)International Literary Price, and the author of the African series novel ''Things Fall Apart'' and ''No longer at Ease''.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that he was a member of the Bard community. He is also a good friend and contemporary of my father. He lectured at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, where I did my undergraduate studies in the english literature department. I spent a delightful afternoon with him and his wife, Professor Christie Achebe, talking about a wide range of topics. My Cameroonian classmate also had the pleasure of being invited as well. For me, it also represented a 'slice of home' in a foreign country.

I am beginning to find some equilibrium (thinking in economic terms) in the midst of an extremely demanding academic programme. I am hopeful that I will be able to post comments at least twice a week. I have had my one hour break, so it's back to the books!!

2 comments:

Susan Arthur said...

Hey, fantastic to hear that you spent time with such a great African literary personality!
I'd love to hear more about it.

Don't worry about not spending time on your blog... we understand the pressures of time and juggling priorities etc. :)As I said previoulsy in one of my blogs, I think time management was probably the most practical skill that we learnt in world of work.

Happy studying!

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

Hi Sues,
Thank you for your post. I'm sorry I haven't had much time to read your posts but I'll try to over the weekend. I'm really having to learn to manage my time better. I should blog about that as well. It's been terribly hectic but it keeps the old adrenaline pumping. It's been a wonderful experience, challenging but in a positive way.