Monday, July 6, 2009

Pondering Peter Areh by Okey Nwafor...

As I reflect on the news of Peter's death, I interrogate the concept of violence in Africa and elsewhere. I interrogate violence in Africa because of the multiple dimensions violence has assumed in this continent. Ranging from large scale, collective ethnocidal violence to various forms of organized individual killings and extending to what Appadurai describes as "extreme forms of political violence against civilian population,"

I get cross at the rate of the escalation. Although you cannot divorce these kinds of violence from other continents but the contention here is the alarming senselessness which Africa’s own has assumed. I get worried that the terrains of my country are becoming more dangerous with the passing days. Things keep on degenerating without visible attempt by the so called government to address them. As a matter of fact, without being utterly pessimistic here, I have never seen or heard of any assassination case in Nigeria whereby the culprits were ever apprehended.

What is actually happening? If you think of any advanced and developed society you can count on Nigerians as one of the most successful groups in any field of human endeavour. But if you come back to Nigeria it would seem as though hell has been let loose. I don’t intend to use this space to cast aspersion on my beloved country but sometimes it makes me think sh*t when I remember the state of things in a country which should be one of the richest countries in the world.

Don’t misunderstand me as this write-up comes as a sudden emotional ejaculation to the death of Peter. Yes it’s true one cannot cry over spilled milk but let it be known to the world that the milk was most insensibly and brutally spilled that one cannot help crying out loud. Adieu Peter! Jee nke oma (Go well).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is beyond senseless what happened to this young man who was an innovator in our dear country. I hope God has mercy on the souls of whoever committed this heinous crime. I pray everyday for the welfare of Nigeria and although it looks rough, I know it can only get better. After all, they say you have to get through the dark night to get to the glorious morning. May he rest in peace and may the good Lord comfort his family and help them make sense of what has happened.

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

Thank you so much.

We can only continue to pray for our beloved country as well as begin to work towards the change we want to happen for the sakes of the generations that are growing up and those that are yet to be born.

Unknown said...

I am terribly grieved by this sad news. A friend sent a note on Facebook to inform me and as I checked for more info on the web, I found your blog.

Peter was my classmate at UNN and in our last three years at school lived only six rooms away from each other on the same floor of Mbonu Ojike Hall. Above all, he was a decent guy. A well bred human being and reliable friend. I mourn with you because I just lost a friend....a dependable ally.

May his soul rest in peace. Amen

Joachim

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

Amen!!It is indeed a terrible terrible tragedy and I keep asking myself WHY PETER???